Thursday, September 27, 2007

Nearing the end of September




Looking back over the month of September I can say that I feel satisfied with the progress I have made. I actually had TWO finishes. Amazing, for me!

First, I finished the Knit for Kids Sweater I had started months ago. That will be shipped off to Guideposts as part of the Knit for Kids Project. This project provides sweaters for needy children all over the world. After I finished it, I started a second one. My goal is to complete two to send off by the end of the year.

Second, I finished the Penelope Blouse, by Oat Couture. I am modeling the newly finished blouse in the photos here. I used Lana Grossa, "Basic" yarn that I bought in Germany last year. This blouse took me months to do. It was frogged over and over again, until I finally "got it." I am not very experienced at lace knitting, so it was a big challenge for me to do this. After many starts and frogging escapades, I finally got it going and finished it. I will definitely make the next one in this pattern in the small size, instead of the medium you see here. This yarn is stretchy, and the pattern runs BIG. I have already started a second one using a fine wool blend by Dale of Norway.



September has been a pleasant month for me in many ways. I have worked at my research on Hildegard of Bingen, and I have been working like mad on my encrusted bead works. When I am reading about Hildegard, I can barely stop my reading to pursue the rest of my day. I keep saying, "Just one more chapter." She is giving me insight into life for a young lady of noble birth, in the High Middle Ages. I love it.

I am using the months of the year as motifs in my bead work. I am picking up on images and colors that are particular for the month. I have completed a couple of pieces for "August." They are periwinkle purples and lively vivid hot pinks with ameythist and Mother of Pearl.. That is the colors I see here in Western PA in August. The colors of chicory blooming along the roadsides amid the Queen Ann's Lace, and other blossoms. Each lit by the brilliant sunshine.

I did a stunning bracelet for "September." In September things become more subdued. The fields retain a deep blue green, but at the same time the landscape becomes golden, a pearly pink mingled with the very soft tans as the flowers become softer and the plants turn from strong greens to russets. Punctuated here and there are the soft ivory whites, and the softest pinks of the wildly blooming morning glories on the hillsides. I have posted the September bracelet for you to see. It is created using gem stones, fresh water pearls, lots of crystals and Japanese and Bohemian glass beads.

I plan to create October next - and I will be watching the landscape to choose my palette of colors. October will be blazing and ROARing Oranges and Reds, I would think.

I am so thankful that I am a creative person. What would our lives be like without ART? Art is everywhere. It is in every direction that you cast your eyes. It lives and breathes in all seasons. Art is life. And, life is art.

No comments: